Friday 30 May 2014

Captain's Log May 2014

On Fire Mission - in early May I attended an annual conference for Anglo-Catholic Charismatics.  
This was the most amazing gathering I have been to for a long time.  Given the rather ‘difficult’ journey we have been under lately this was an opportunity to begin a healing process and a rebuilding of my confidence. The worship pushed all my buttons alongside the very helpful workshops and incredible inspiring key note talks. All added to the opportunity to talk and meet with like minded souls – brilliant!


‘Kairos’ St Peter ad Vincula – another visit to our friends at Wisborough Green. This time we explored what it means to be Church.

Chichester Church Army Cluster – although our numbers were low we had a really good Quiet Day in Bexhill. We spent some time reflecting on our Rule of Life and how we are developing as members of the Church Army Mission Community. Don’t forget there is an opportunity to engage with Church Army along one of the Four Pathways. Check out the web site:

A very special occasion this month when over 500 of us from the diocese journeyed to Westminster Abbey for the Consecration of Revd Richard Jackson as Bishop of Lewes. Richard has headed up the Mission & Renewal Team for the last four years and has been my line-manager and colleague.

The next day the newly consecrated Bishop was part of a small ecumenical group who have been working together over the last few years delivering the Mission Shaped Ministry Course. This gave us an opportunity to reflect and consider a way forward.  We are planning to take a break and think about running the course beginning in September 2015.

Another run this month, the 10k Heroes Run, this year was the tenth anniversary and they lined up Heroes v Villains. I managed to get in at 58 minutes, so very pleased with that.  I also raised over £90 for Soul by the Sea.  www.soulbythesea.org.uk

Towards the end of the month my friend and C.A. colleague Graham Bibby invited me over for a Quiz Night at St Richard’s Crowborough. He asked if I could give an ‘Evangelistic Talk’ for 10 – 15 minutes as part of the evening. What a gift for an evangelist!



Increasingly I am picking up the needful task of inviting people to give their lives to Christ when I am invited to preach. At the ‘Kairos Service’ and again when I preached at St Mary Magadelene, Cowden towards the end of the month I made such an invitation. I often ask people when was the last time you heard a call for conversion on a Sunday morning.  For me this then begins to roll backwards. It can speak of a lack of expectancy that there will be any ‘not yet Christians’ there.  Once you have taken that path then you very soon end up doing things that suit the ‘regulars’ and not paying attention to the words of Archbishop William Temple who said ‘the Church is for the benefit of its non-members.’    






                    

No comments:

Post a Comment