Saturday 4 February 2017

Captains Blog February 2017

My first engagement with Faith Pictures began this month and I really like it. It is so much fun and yet has a great way of engendering some fantastic conversations about our Faith and our journeys to faith.  It gets a massive thumbs up from me! Check out the Church Army web site for more details - www.churcharmy.org.uk


Three preachment's this month

St Anne’s, Brown Edge for my regular monthly visit.

St Bartholomew’s, Norton-le-Moor – this is a parish that I am also meeting with regularly to discuss their MAP alongside a short Scriptural reflection. I also met with their PCC this month.


St James’ Barton-under-Needwood for a Church Army preachment.

On most occasions I will put a transcript of my sermons on my Blog.

Exciting plans emerging from planning meetings for the Shrewsbury Flower Show and the Staffordshire County Show.  On the latter I have been invited to be the Honorary Show Chaplain. 

We had another great ‘Chewing the Cud’ – based around FCN. These are open meetings and our next one is on the 8th march 10.30 at Amerton Farm, Stafford. We are also having several cases coming in and could I please ask you to pray for Farmer K. The situation is very challenging. We are also desperate for more ‘case workers’ who need to have some knowledge of farming. www.fcn.org.uk

With the retirement of our Rural Officer I have been picking up some of this work. In particular I was invited to attend a meeting of the Central RO’s  who are planning an exciting Day Conference on Brexit on the 30th March and to be held at Germinate ARC, Stoneliegh Park.

‘Love Stafford’ was launched a year ago picking up a rather tired ‘Churches Together.’  A year on and we are in good heart and have engaged together in numerous projects and ‘leaders’ meet monthly for a short time of prayer.  We had a fantastic celebration with a Mission Market Place and I was able to take along a Church Army display.  I have also been invited to sit on the Executive of Love Stafford. I am particularly keen to use my contacts to try and draw in our more Catholic minded friends in the Anglican Church and it would also be nice to see the Roman Catholics get more involved.   

 With the Report ‘Setting God’s People Free’* recently published it is a great joy to be part of a team working with LICC to create a Suite of Resources to help with Frontline Discipleship. It is our hope that as we journey over six to twelve months with a church/benefice there will be a change in practices that will lead to a cultural shift in churches. It is about viewing the 10 hours spent in church activities alongside the 110 hours ‘outside’ through a different perspective and one that sees the symbiotic relationship between gathered and dispersed church.  www.licc.org.uk




Some appointments & engagements

Wednesday 1st
Meeting with George Fisher as Line Manager
In the evening Session 5 ‘Faith Pictures’

Thursday 2nd
Love Stafford Executive – my first meeting

Monday 6th
Meeting with my Spiritual Companion
Lunch at Shallowford House & meeting those new in post following their weekend together.
In the afternoon FCN Staffordshire Group meeting

Wednesday 8th
Session 6 ‘Faith Pictures’ with St Peter’s Rickerscote. Last session – so where do we go from here?

Thursday 9th
Love Stafford Leaders Prayer Meeting

Saturday 11th
Attending Book Review with Mark Ireland and Mike Booker ‘Making New Disciples’

Sunday 12th
Preaching and leading Morning Prayer at St Anne’s Brown Edge

Monday 13th
Personal Quite Day

Tuesday 14th
Church Army Cluster (I am now Lichfield Diocese CA Cluster Coordinator)

Wednesday 15th
Social Supper with Bishop Geoff and Archdeacon Matthew and respective spouses

Thursday 16th
‘Chew & Chat’ at Brook CafĂ©, Rising Brook Baptist Church. Lunch and chat with friend(s)

Also in this period above, I need to prepare for a Webinar and a Diocesan Rural Consultation Day.

Friday 17th – Friday 24th
Taking some time out that will include a self-led retreat (both Jane and I) at the Sheldon Centre with the Mary & Martha Society.

Saturday 25th
Rural Ministry Solutions – Webinar looking at the opportunity for Spring.

Monday 27th
Rural Ministry Solutions – Rural Mission Consultation for the Diocese of Chelmsford, in partnership with Barry Osborne.



No comments:

Post a Comment