Friday 18 January 2019

Retirement Blog Two


For life is more than food, and the body more than clothes 
Luke 12.23


During a recent holiday cruising around the Canaries, Jane and I indulged in one of our pastimes especially when on holiday, people watching and acting as ‘fashion police.’ (And I know we are not the only ones who do this!)

Sometimes we give people scores and at other times have to restrain each so that we don’t go and tell them off for appearing in public dressed like that!

Men in particular seem to put on whatever shorts or trousers are available and then whatever shirt first comes to hand. No thought about colours or patterns and stripes, etc.

And we did see several of the ultimate offence – socks and sandals, not even white socks but brown socks. 


It is all a bit of fun and I am sure people are also looking at us in the same way as well. 

However taking into account the places we visited what you wear is important, or rather what you don’t wear. For example going into Churches requires ladies to be decently attired and in some cases for men not to wear shorts.  (What’s that about I have no idea, although I remember during my Church Army training when men wearing shorts was a new fashion (early 80’s) I went into Chapel in shorts and the Principal reminded me of Psalm 147.10.

Of course when we docked in Agadir (Morocco) what we wore was even more important and it would have been very easy to have caused deep offence.   

The CEO of Church Army Mark Russel quipped that the Church Army is not a Uniformed Organisation so much as an organisation with uniforms!  

The Church Army have for the most part set aside uniforms, certainly the familiar grey battle dress uniform is hardly ever worn with the exception of a very few older officers. 


Currently a working party is looking into the whole uniform, titles, etc. thing with some feeling that it is all a tad anachronistic.

What I found puzzling is that as the Church Army was stepping out of its uniforms the world seemed to be stepping into them.  Today in any store or bank or fast food chain or coffee store you know who the staff are because they have a ‘uniform’ giving them a corporate identity.



In around the 1990’s the Church Army began offering its Officers uniform polo shirts and sweatshirts. I quickly took to wearing these whenever I was ‘on duty.’  This really helped our children as they were growing up, because they knew when daddy was ‘at work.’

Because ministry is a funny old thing and there is no clear demarcation of clocking on or clocking off.  It is very fluid and personal life and family life and ministry all bleed into each other.

I was discussing this with an Ordinand recently and asking him what he intended to wear once he was ordained Deacon this summer apart from Choir dress for when he conducts Services, etc.  I encouraged him to think of something that he would wear, perhaps a clerical collar, that could help distinguish when we he ‘on duty’ and when he was ‘off duty.’  (Although as we know ‘off duty nurses, police man, etc, often will be the first to jump and won’t stand there and say I am off duty)

Personally I have found it a great help in my life and ministry to always put on something that denotes I am a Church Army Officer when I am ‘on duty.’

I remember preaching at HMS Raleigh in Plymouth and the Officer talking about young recruits. One of the very first things they do and soon as they arrive is get them into uniforms. That helps them to be part of the team, they belong and have an identity bound up with others in the same enterprise. 

I also remember a Nun being asked about wearing a habit and she said it was great because she didn’t have to worry or fuss as to what she wore. She got up and put on her habit. It is a bit like that for me, I get up and if it’s a work day on goes something of Church Army according to what I am doing.  (I am one who does think about what I am wearing, ask my family about packing for holidays!)

So here is where this is all leading to in my reflecting and considering retirement.  What will I wear and how strange will it be not to put on my Church Army sweatshirt as a matter of course.  (And what do I do with the dozen or more shirts and sweatshirts)

This is of course tied in with identity. Because I have always worn Church Army uniform I was always identified as such, that Church Army man.


In the grand scheme of things and given what else is happening around the world it is almost laughable to even be reflecting on such a matter.

However consider this, for the last 30 years I have worn something that denotes me as a Church Army Officer for the majority of that time.

Now that’s going to take some adjustment.  

Perhaps I will need to be weaned off them gradually, one shirt less per week until I can kick the habit!  


And should you think what you wear is trite or trivial matter take a look at this TED talk…

Take a look at what you’re wearing — does it convey the complex, intriguing person that you are? If it doesn’t, it might be time for you to rethink your wardrobe, according to style coach Stasia Savasuk.

No comments:

Post a Comment