Sunday 22 September 2024

'Is love all you need?'


In July 1967 The Beatles released ‘All You Need is Love’ – and I loved it.  I was 16 years old and into my second year as an Apprentice Jockey indentured to Bruce Hobbs in Newmarket.  

It was going to be another ten years before I came to know the source of real love and the answer to the question that set me off a long journey from Royton (Lancashire) to Newmarket. But that’s another story for another time.

But the question I want to ask is, where the Beatles right, that love is all we need? There was certainly a lot of talk around'love' in the 60’s and ‘the summer of love.’ 

 However, Jonathan Sacks thinks otherwise as he argues in his book ‘Not In God’s Name.’

Taking the foundational stories of Isaac and Ishmael (and Sarah and Hagar), Jacob and Esau, Leah and Rachel, Jospeh (of the many coloured coat fame!) and his brothers.

He lays out the ‘top-level narrative’ that is basically sibling rivalry where the younger seeks to usurp the older.  (I am obviously précising Sack’s more detailed analysis and insights)

Underneath this top-level story is another counterintuitive story.  This counterintuitive story leaves us with an empathy for those who are apparently wronged. We feel for Hagar and Ishmael at the hands of Sarah and the seeming compliance of Abraham.  And what a scum bag is Jacob, (and his mum) plotting and deceiving blind Jacob in giving Esau’s blessing to him instead of his brother.  It is the same with Leah and Rachel, and for Joseph and his brothers. Although you have to dig deeper into the narrative to appreciate all the nuances in the colourful coat saga.

So, if love is not all you need then what is needed?

There are occasions when I go to the supermarket with Jane, my wife. And then, as often happens, particularly if we had a coffee before, I need to ‘pay a visit.’ Then in the crowded supermarket it becomes a game of ‘hunt the wife’.  (I sometime use the phone, but I like the challenge of ‘hunt the wife.')   What I have pondered over (and perhaps this is just me!) is that there are all these people, anyone one of them might be a suitable wife or partner.  But I am looking for a very particular person. The one I have made a vow to love, the one I have entered a covenantal relationship with. I love Jane more than any other woman. My love for her is exclusive.  And in my loving Jane I have ‘forsaken all others’ as it says in the marriage service.

 Sacks argues, love is exclusive!

An extract from the Leah, Rachel and Jacob story, Genesis 29. 30-32

30 Jacob made love to Rachel also, and his love for Rachel was greater than his love for Leah. And he worked for Laban another seven years. 31 When the Lord saw that Leah was not loved, he enabled her to conceive, but Rachel remained childless. 32 Leah became pregnant and gave birth to a son. She named him Reuben, for she said, ‘It is because the Lord has seen my misery. Surely my husband will love me now.’

Jacob loved Rachel more than Leah.

Sacks argues that it is justice that we all need as well as love. Justice is universal to everyone, and I can seek that justice is done for everyone, whereas I cannot love everyone in any meaningful sense of that word, except perhaps in a platonic sense.

The Rachel and Leah story shows this very clearly. Having declared his love for Rachel over Leah God brings justice for Leah. ‘When the Lord saw that Leah was not loved, he enabled her to conceive, but Rachel remained childless. ‘

Hagar is cast out, but God provides for her in the desert when she thought she and her child were going to die.

I find this deep Scriptural wisdom very helpful in seeking to navigate through life.

If we take for example prisoners, or even a single prisoner.

We may be unable to love them, but we can seek for justice for them.

I was chatting this through with someone recently and they said that insight was so helpful. They had a real problem with their mother-in-law finding it impossible to love them and then feeling guilty because as a Christian, surely, we are called to love, and especially those of our household and family.  This wisdom enabled her to be released from that pressure but then to seek that her mother-in-law received justice. In practical terms this means seeking for her mothers-in-law's wellbeing. Ensuring her husband makes time for his mother, etc.

Hate divides, but so does love!

To quote from Sacks, ‘But love is not enough. You cannot build a family, let alone a society on love alone. For that you need justice also. Love is partial, justice is impartial. Love is particular, justice is universal. Love is for this person, but not that, but justice is for all. Much of the moral life is generated by this tension between love and justice. Justice without love is harsh. Love without justice is unfair, or so it will seem to the less loved.’

 I still like the Beatles song but continue to seek the deep wisdom of Scripture as it offers insights into the human condition.  And it is to the Scriptures that I leave the last word.

From Amos 5:24, “But let justice roll down like waters, and righteousness like an ever-flowing stream,”

 

 

 


 O Lord The Clouds Are Gathering - Graham Kendrick 

https://youtu.be/Xfv9OI59_7o?si=lGtI7jwv42Tf5Gfz

No comments:

Post a Comment