Sunday 19 May 2024

'Send the Fire' - Weekly Reflection Pentecost Sunday 2024

 



A couple of weeks ago I was out running, and it wasn’t a very nice day. I had my head down and
plodding along when I noticed what I thought was someone I know come out of their house and walk to the fence on crutches. I had gone passed them before I could properly register if it was them.  However, last week I was out running again and had my run planned in my head (I have several routes that I use depending on time, how I am feeling and the distance I want to run.) I was heading up the Great Central Walk, Rugby, and part way up I felt compelled to come off the Walk and head for home a different way.  This would take me past my friend’s house, and sure enough, there he was, by the fence. This time the weather was kinder, and I was more alert, so I stopped, and we had a nice little chat. It turned out that he has had a hip replacement, hence the crutches.

Today is what we have come to know as Pentecost, or for some, Whit Sunday, the day when we consider the coming of the Holy Spirit ten days after the Ascension of Jesus to the throne of God and his being given all authority both in heaven and on earth.  In our troubled times it would be easy to focus on the Holy Spirit as the dove of peace, the comforter, the one who draws alongside. All of this is good, but this year I have been drawn to the Holy Spirit as wind and fire – the two elements described in the Acts account of this event. Both wind and fire were deeply symbolic to the Jewish disciples of Jesus.  I have been reflecting on the Holy Spirit as the disturber, the wind in the sails, the fire that purges and purifies. The Holy Spirit who interrupts our lives.   How good are we at sensing those promptings of the Spirit to take a certain path, or a train or bus, or sit in a particular place. Indeed, do you pray before you set out and offer yourself to God should he want you to help someone, or even to speak to them, possibly witness to them about God’s love.  


Dietrich Bonhoeffer put it like this….

“We must be ready to allow ourselves to be interrupted by God.....We must not.....assume that our schedule is our own to manage, but allow it to be arranged by God.”


I don’t know what type of diary you keep, maybe its on your phone, perhaps a calendar or like me you have still have a ‘paper’ diary.  (I have all three). May I suggest that at the beginning of the week you take this diary and offer it to God. If like me, you find symbolism powerful, then maybe take your diary (in whatever form) and place it on a Bible, or a Cross, or something that helps you to give your time, your week, into God’s hands and be willing to be interrupted. Read the Gospels and you will see time and time again Jesus is interrupted and responds bringing healing and wholeness.



And on fire I have also been drawn to William Booth deeply challenging ‘Send the Fire’ – sit deep into this song, make your prayer, then step out into your week being prepared to step off your intended path.

 https://youtu.be/6qydwzaeVa0?si=ZMEUpfwBOoAJng4d




 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment