Sunday 26 May 2024

Weekly reflection 26th May 2024 ~ 'Guarding the eye gate and the ear gate.'

On Friday last (24th May) Jane and I had a fabulous evening as part of a birthday treat. We had a lovely meal at the Slug and Lettuce, Coventry, that included a complimentary bottle of Prosecco before going onto Coventry Cathedral for ‘Opera by Candlelight.’  This was part of the London Concertante tours with several of their shows taking part in Cathedrals. 
London Concertante – London Concertante

As I listened to these wonderful arias I was deeply moved.  One of the pieces performed was used in the film Shawshank Redemption, ‘Duettino- Sull'aria’ from one of Mozart’s most popular operas ‘The Marriage of Figaro.’  In the film (The Shawshank Redemption 1994), prisoner Andy Dufresne (Tim Robbins) defies Warden Sam Norton (Bob Gunton) by playing an excerpt of this song over the prison's public address system. Norton sentences Dufresne to solitary confinement as a result. Ellis Boyd "Red" Redding (Morgan Freeman) remarks in his voice-over narration: "I have no idea to this day what those two Italian ladies were singing about. ... I'd like to think they were singing about something so beautiful it can't be expressed in words, and it makes your heart ache because of it."

Here's an excerpt...

https://youtu.be/qzuM2XTnpSA?si=bj3pN4CoBqo1vI-O


My heartbeat was raised as the music soared up into the lofty heights of Coventry Cathedral.  Tears moistened my eyes as the music seemed to sink deep into my heart and soul.  As it did, I became keenly aware of the awful pain in the world, all the fighting and arguing. All the suffering and abuse. So much awfulness.

 I am also reading Nick Page’s great book, ‘The Longest Week’ which outlines Jesus’ last week. I have been reading of the horrific method of execution by crucifixion.  

My thoughts went to reflecting on how humans can create such beauty, how they can do some amazing things, and create such beautiful music, and yet also sink to such depths of depravity and appear to enjoy causing so much pain on others.  

Historically I did have a time when a relationship I was in became toxic.  I have had more than enough bitterness and anger and arguments to last me a lifetime.  Anyone arguing now makes me feel very uncomfortable.

It is right that we do not live under a stone and ignore the pain of the world and those around us. However, there is a real issue with ‘doom scrolling’ that is causing mental health issues. 

https://www.bacp.co.uk/news/news-from-bacp/2022/3-october-what-is-doomscrolling-and-what-can-help-if-it-s-affecting-your-mental-health/


The message for us as God’s people is…

‘Don’t let the world around you squeeze you into its own mould, but let God re-mould your minds from within, so that you may prove in practice that the plan of God for you is good, meets all his demands and moves towards the goal of true maturity.’ Romans 12.1-2

Might I suggest that at least once a week we take the time to find something that feeds our souls in this way. Something that makes our hearts sing and makes our eyes moist. Something that takes us out and beyond ourselves for a moment, where the prison walls dissolve!  That may be a piece of music, a piece of art, a film, a certain place or even a person. I find playing games with my grandchildren and watching their joy and hearing their laughter is just so very special.

‘Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.’ Philippians 4.8



 

 

 

 

 

  


No comments:

Post a Comment